ppst! all the free toolkits are over here. 🙂
Budgeting. (I know, I know…) [all resources]
You can get my Budgeting Toolkit free online here.
Credit [all resources]
Debt & Loans [all resources]
The Debt Resistors Manual, out of the Occupy Wall Street folks, has great resources on managing old debts and frameworks for thought. While I do advocate paying student loans, under the mantle of Less Stress Is Better For You, I get their points.
These online calculators are really helpful:
- Student loan repayment from finaid.org. Start with a 10-year estimate, and go from there.
- Online debt payoff calculator: whether you want to snowball, avalanche, or just get it GONE, plan out payments and see what you’ll save
Investing [all resources]
- WTF is investing? There is an entire post about it here.
- What about if you want investing that’s more ethical? Start learning here.
Work, Jobs & Freelancing [all resources]
- Small Biz Cheatsheet — free download of a few pages of resources!
- Caclulators: self-employment tax // income tax calculator
- How to set rates as a freelancer!
- How to frame your small business so you make money.
- Savings calculators: make your plan!
- This document lists basically everything amazing about saving money and retiring early. So if that sounds cool…
- The YouNeedABudget blog has a LOT of tips and free mini-classes on saving.
Look, once you get to a certain level (like over $50k in the bank), then you can start thinking about paying a financial advisor a small percentage to handle this stuff. If you’re there, check out:
Leon Wu (link tk)
SRI Advisor Groups
- First Affirmative, http://www.firstaffirmative.com/
- Pax World Management, http://paxworld.com/
- Natural Investments, https://www.naturalinvestments.com
Looking for other support? Check out…
I sometimes get the opportunity to promote other people whose work supports self-determination and empowerment, here’s a few folks I adore:
Personal Coaching: Bridget Sweetin is a force of organization, marketing, and positivity. And a certified coach, check her out.
Employment Coaching: Trying to pivot careers? Sloan is a life coach with specialties in resume preparation, interview practice, and workplace cultures. “I help individuals get out of their own way and support organizations with taking on their most difficult challenges. I am committed to the development of people and workplace teams in service of larger social transformation.” LOVE. Contact Sloan here.
- Kristin Wong’s money work is delightful: http://www.thewildwong.com/
- The Millennial Revolution bloggers crunch numbers so well! Check em out.
- Mr. Money Mustache has a cult following, and if you want to save money and get out of the cycle of compulsory work, you’ll see why.
- JD Roth is also a classic dad-type finance writer so check him out.
- Your Money or Your Life – check out the workbook by the Financial Integrity nonprofit.
The National Endowment for Financial Education has dozens of handouts and worksheets to help you organize your finances. While they do, like many, focus on salaried employees, there’s lots of sound advice.
Cost Management Tools
Nerd Wallet has price comparisons on all kinds of things, from savings accounts to root canals.