Many of us saw that article. The one about millennials not buying houses because of “wasteful spending on avocado toast.” We all know that’s ridiculous – and I began to wonder exactly HOW ridiculous? How MUCH avocado toast would buy a home?
Literally how big a stack of fancy brunch would get us a down payment? So, as your local money nerd, I ran some numbers. Read on, and enjoy the infographic.
Here’s a few givens:
- The avocado toast costs $15 and you have tax + tip making it a $20 snack.
- Each toast (you get two) is 2 inches tall, so each $20 order is 4 inches tall.
- We assume a minimum needed down payment is around $20,000, and calculate a few down payments higher than that.
Seriously even typing this out is ridiculous. BUT! I bring you to a happy ending so….
I really love snacks. What else I love? MAKING HARD THINGS EASY.
Let’s get REAL about down payments for a moment:
You’d need to save $20/day — every day — for the following amount of time, to get down-payment levels of money:
- Three years = $22,000, and the toast you miss out on would be as tall as the tallest hill in Potrero Hill.
- Five and 1/2 years = $40,000, and the toast you miss out on would be taller that the Space Needle.
- Eight years + = $60,000, and the toast you miss out on would be a smidge shorter than the Chrysler Building.
Short story: maybe you CAN save a down payment.
And the brunch you’re eating is fine, by the way.
If you liked this, check out:
- The NY Fed’s recent report on housing prices in the US over the last decade.
- An online course on how to unsnarl your money and save up for big things
- More on buying property and the mindset you need.
- Actually, you could buy a house if this is what you do.
Sign up for my newsletter here, yall! I promise it stays as good as this.